Friday, April 3, 2015

The Complaint Project - Week 1

And we're off!

I spent much of this first week of the Complaint Project trying to tune in & recognize when I was complaining & what I was complaining about. What did I discover? I complain A LOT. But much of that complaining was actually done in my head. I internalize a lot of it and only express my irritation through such passive aggressive moves as eye-rolling and exasperated inflections of my voice.

What else did I discover? Toddlers incite A LOT of frustration. Not complaining while coexisting with a 3-year old is damn near impossible. This is gonna be a lot more work than I originally thought.

And so, like in every other area of my obsessive Type A life, I made a list. Here are some of the things that I whined about during Week 1.

  1. So much boring organizational work 
  2. People on calls that talk and talk and talk and talk and talk
  3. The grocery store automatic cashier
  4. People that refuse to stop saying "Adorbs" and "Totes" (via Twitter)
  5. My stupid cat throwing up all of the time
  6. My stupid cat meowing all of the time
  7. I'm tired, I couldn't sleep, I am anxious, I am stressed, I am worried
  8. Boo whining (ironic, I know)
  9. Tim being late to pick me up
  10. Tim being early to pick me up
  11. Boo refusing to get dressed. Boo refusing to wear clothes that are not 4T. Boo refusing to put his undies on. Boo refusing to answer me. Boo refusing to go to bed. 
  12. Anti-vaccination posts on Facebook
  13. I feel sick from eating an entire bag of Starburst jellybeans
  14. My Uber driver not going the way I suggested
  15. I'm hurt. I'm sick. I'm can't get rid of this bronchitis cough
  16. Twitter spoiled the Walking Dead finale
And the list goes on....and on....and on...

Aside from assessing all of my complaints this week, I also tried to remember to look for the bright side of things. For example:
  1. I have so much boring organizational work to do....but I am very lucky to have such a great job.
  2. The grocery store automatic cashier is so irritating....but it was a small price to pay to have wine to drink tonight.
  3. Tim is late picking me up....but overall, he's a pretty damn good husband. 
  4. Boo is incredibly frustrating and annoying....but it's so amazing when he hugs me & tells me he loves me unprompted. 
  5. My Uber driver did not go the way I suggested....but at least I will not get a DUI tonight.
Has anything changed so far? Not really. But I do feel more self-aware when it comes to how my complaining affects my mood. I have also taken note of how many Starburst jellybeans are too many Starburst jellybeans. And finally, I've noticed how often and easily strangers or acquaintances on social media can put a black rain cloud over my day. The little things add up. 






No comments:

Post a Comment