Monday, December 31, 2012

Pretty Good Year

As I've said, I am a professional marketer, a professional mama, and a professional good time girl. (Note: this does not mean "prostitute".)  Gentle Reader, that is THREE full time jobs. How in the world was there ever time for everything in 2012?
  1. Successfully made it to my son's first birthday
  2. Planned a wedding IN MY BACKYARD while working & baby-wrangling full-time
  3. Overhauled our entire home including paint, carpet, and various other home improvement projects
  4. Coped with the baby blues and cried quite a bit
  5. Learned that taking 30 minutes to eat lunch silent and alone is essential to my well-being
  6. Lost the baby weight 
  7. Gained some of it back
  8. Finally married the love of my life after a 7-year courtship
  9. Reconnected with several of my closest friends from the past 
  10. Learned the importance of making time for friends, both near & far
  11. Looked out at a sea of faces of all of the people I love most in my life and felt like the luckiest girl in the world
  12. Ran (mostly) my first 5K
  13. Had a fight with my Mom that has likely forever changed the nature of our relationship
  14. Finally embraced my love of being a mother
  15. Came to the sad conclusion that wheat & dairy do not make me feel good
  16. Colored a lot of gray hair and obsessed over many new lines on my face
  17. Said goodbye to my Grandma 
  18. Spent all day at a cabana in Vegas with 8 of my very best girls
  19. Unexpectedly, felt endless gratitude & respect for my in-laws
  20. Drank my weight in beer in Bend on our very short but sweet honeymoon
  21. Cried and cried and cried and hurt and hurt and hurt for those lost and the families affected by so many tragedies of this past year
  22. Discovered that my husband is not only a great partner, he's a terrific father
  23. Celebrated births and grieved the death of relationships with my dear Seattle girlfriends
  24. Took a giant leap of faith and left my secure job to pursue a new career 
  25. Continued my love affair with wine
  26. Watched too much reality TV
  27. Made peace with myself for some of the larger mistakes I've made
  28. Swelled with joy & pride as I watched my son roll over, crawl, take his first steps, say his first words, give his first kisses, snuggle his first stuffed toy, eat his first foods, and call out "Mommy!" for the first time
  29. Felt both joy & sorrow more deeply than ever before 
  30. Thought to myself time and time and time again, "I must be one of the luckiest women on Earth."
Yeah, it was a pretty good year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment