Wednesday, November 21, 2012

LIZ.

I was thinking about my friend, Reno, this morning.  You know Reno, right?  Everybody knows Reno.

Reno is a tried & true Seattle-ite, and he is moving to New York in a few days.  I've been watching his Facebook posts about his upcoming move and all of the subsequent comments and posts from all of his friends.  Reno is so loved.  And deservedly so.

It's funny; I consider him to be a good friend of mine although we do not really hang out often.  I can't say that we are close, but I think he is just the kind of person that folks automatically feel a connection with.  He just has a welcoming way about him - he's just the kind of guy you want to be friends with.  He is special.

Case in point:  I hadn't seen Reno in quite a while.  Okay, a really long time.  But, because he is who he is, of course I wanted him to attend my baby shower.  Now, clearly, baby showers are not the hottest ticket in town.  Well, mine was obvi, but usually these diaper-sniffing, oohing & awwing affairs are best left to the aunties & the grandmas of the group.  But still, Reno was there.  And not only that, he brought not one but TWO handmade quilts - yes folks, quilts that he freakin' made - for my boy.  This is the kind of person that Reno is.

I think I speak for a lot of folks when I say this -
Reno, thank you.  Thank you for being you.  Thank you for being the kind of person and friend that you are and that I would like to be.  Thank you for being crazy and caring and compassionate.  Thank you for making the world a better place.  You will be always be part of Seattle.  And you will be missed.

P.S. This vodka-soaked photo from an International Women's Day party long ago somehow seemed the most appropriate.




No comments:

Post a Comment