Sunday, November 25, 2012

No Whiskers On Kittens Here

I realize that I am no Oprah.  Most of my favorite things cost less than $10 (with a few notable exceptions).  And you will not receive any of them after reading this blog post.  Still, screaming in excitement is encouraged.  Some day I may have Oprah's reach, and, when I do, your commitment to this blog will go far.  You can count on that.

My Favorite Things 2012

1. Birchbox subscription
I love getting mail, and I love beauty samples.  Put the two together, and you've got a Birch Box subscription!  Buy one for yourself.  Give one to your girlfriend.  Swap the perfume samples with each other.  Thank me later.

2. Mt Townsend Creamery
Glorious handmade cheeses from the Pacific Northwest.  Friendly, knowledgeable cheesemakers.  Holiday Gift Boxes available online.  You can't go wrong with any of their cheese choices, but I'm a fan of Seastack, the old stand-by.

3.  Kale
Yes, I know it's ever-so-popular right now.  But for good reason:  it's not only a nutritional powerhouse, it's totally adaptable to pretty much any dish.  I toss it in everything - salads, soups, sauces, smoothies, pizza, hash, stir-fries.  Consider it your new staple.

4.  The Voice
Yeah, it's a guilty pleasure. Just try and resist Cee Lo's dirty old man leering or Blake Shelton's drunken barbs.  It's sheer escapism.  And I wouldn't want it any other way.

5.  Sprout organic fruit & veggie pouches
They're organic which is important to me.  They are yummy which is important to my kid.  Boo started holding them himself when he was 10 months or so, and a whole new world was born.  Although a bunch of other companies make these as well, the Sprout brand just seem to be Boo's favorite.  Don't leave home without one.

6.  Mary's Gone Crackers - Black Pepper
Gluten-free, dairy-free crackers that are nutty and crunchy with just a little bit of a pepper kick and stand up to strong cheeses, creamy dips, and thick spreads.  Ridiculous good.

7.  Kitchen Aid Mixer
Yeah, I know I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I seriously don't know how I lived before this thing.  It has tons of uses, tons of fun attachments you can add on (hello, ice cream maker!), and it just looks darn cute sitting on your counter.

8.  Domino Beauty Boutique
My newest discovery (thanks to Asia of Sparrow Soirees) in Greenwood.  Love my haircut, love my various waxed areas (ahem), love their atmosphere.  Go see the ladies of Domino - they'll make you even prettier that you already are.

9.  Fromager d'Affinois
If you know me at all, you know that this cheese is my thing.  Oh man, is it my thing - especially as a topping for the aforementioned Mary's Gone Crackers.  It's kind of like a brie, but it's just so buttery, so creamy, so ooey-gooey, it's irresistible.

10.  Ellen Barrett workout DVDs
When you enjoy Fromager d'Affinois as much as I do, you must have some balance.  This is where Ellen Barrett comes in.  Almost all of her workouts are done in bare feet (!), and they are pilates/yoga/dance fusions. Even if you hate working out at home - or at all - Ellen's your girl.

11.  Vegenaise
God knows that I am not a vegan.  But I have the biggest crush on Veganaise right now.  I even use it to make egg salad which is weird, but somehow makes sense.  Try it before you throw carnivorous stones.

12.  Doug & Melissa Toys
My kid loves these retro-ish wooden toys from Doug & Melissa.  They're super sturdy, well-made, and they will occupy your child for a least 4 minutes at a time.  That's 45 in grown-up minutes.

13.  A - Z Pinot Noir
I like to save the best for last, and as you all know, for me, that means wine.  This Oregon Pinot has been one of my frontrunners for the past year.  Juicy & fruity with a fabulous finish, this is my winter go-to.  Try it today.  Preferably accompanied by some Fromager d'Affinois.

P.S.  Santa, if you're reading this, please consider any and all of the above as appropriate stocking stuffers.

Happy Holidays!


No comments:

Post a Comment