Thursday, November 8, 2012

Love Is Love.

My Boo said, "Love you", to me for the first time a few days ago.  Yes, I know he was merely repeating what I had said to him.  I know he didn't really understand the meaning behind his words.  I know this.  But it still completely crushed me.  It was pretty much the best thing ever.  (Especially when I had a deep, dark fear that the first time he said it, it would be to his beloved nanny.)

Boo's mimicking of my declaration of love made me think about the other people he loves now - whether he knows it or not - and the people he will love in the future.  And then I started crying - but not for Will - for all of the people through the years that have not been able to love openly or honestly because of society's views or their parents' opinions or the government's restrictions.

It seems ridiculous, doesn't it?  Why would anyone, ever, want to stop someone from loving?  More love in this crazy world can only be a good thing.  Right?  How did - and how do - these folks justify the idea that not everyone deserves to find & celebrate their love of another person?

My son will grow up in a family, in a household, where he can love anyone he chooses.  And I am proud to say that he will now grow up in a state where the majority officially believe that as well.  Love is love.

And someday, many years in the future, my Boo will say, "Love you", to another in front of those he loves & who love him.  It will not be repetition.  It will not be his sweet love for his mother.  It will not be the puppy love of a preteen.  It will be the real & true, heart-pounding, tummy butterfly-causing, crazy love that fills us up and inspires us and makes us better people.  And we will celebrate.  

Ain't love grand?  

1 comment: